Monday, January 3, 2011

Fatal Mistake/Blogger of the Week

 Oh man. I am really not very happy about what just happened. So I was halfway through typing this really awesome blog post (it was REALLY good) and then I somehow accidentally deleted it.....but there was still a glimmer of hope! I remembered that this thing saves drafts while I'm typing so I was trying to find a way to get back to the page and find everything I had written, unharmed and ready to go. Then I made a fatal mistake. I hit the back button. Little did I know at the time that this one action was going to make me so angry until I found my way back to the new post page and saw that there was an undo button the entire time............so now my two and a half awesome paragraphs and one pretty nice list are lost forever. Now I'm going to try and remember everything I wrote and post it below. Yeah, it won't be the same though.


Title: Blogger of the Week

So I guess you could say that this has become one of my new favorite hobbies. Ever since I've gotten a blog I have made sure to write almost every day just because I could. Sadly though, my extremely frequent blog posts are about to come to an end. The reason why? Well, I am starting school tomorrow. I am about to say goodbye to free time and a willingness to think. When I get home my brain is going to feel like it's going to explode and I will be in no mood to write or do anything for that matter....

Ok that last part was sort of dramatic but I really will miss all the free time, for real.

One thing that I haven't really written about yet is my love for music. I LOVE music. I used to think my taste in music wasn't really picky but now that I think about it I guess it sort of is. I don't like rap, country, screamo and also a few other genres that just don't come to mind right off the bat. I'm not even sure how to describe the type of music I like. Indie, maybe? I feel like that word is too cool for me to use haha. Instead of trying describe it, I'll just make a list of bands that I like.

- The Avett Brothers
- Nickel Creek
- Bon Iver
- The Weepies
- Vampire Weekend
- The Shins
- Mumford and Sons
- Switchfoot
- Ingrid Michaelson
- Fun.
- Fleet Foxes

These are the artists whose songs dominate a good half of the music on my ipod. While I love listening to all of these bands/singers, I wish that my music taste could be opened up to a wider range of Christian musicians. Sadly, I just can't find a lot that I like because I feel like a lot of it just sounds the same. I don't know. Maybe it's just me being picky. Some Christian artists I have recently discovered that I do like a lot though are these:


Jesus Culture- A band I was introduced to a couple of months ago. Their passion for God is definitely heard in every song they sing. I'm pretty sure they only sing praise music which makes it difficult for me to listen to them in the car because I keep wanting to close my eyes or raise my hands (which would equal a car accident) but I still like to listen to them and just refrain from getting too into it.
John Mark McMillan- I don't know exactly what it is I like the most about him. He's definitely someone else who's passion for God can be heard in his lyrics. I like all the instruments in his songs too. Then again, maybe I'm just a fan of the harmonica.
Jon Foreman-He is the lead singer of Switchfoot and he is awesome. Most of his songs are just straight from scripture.
Caleb-This band is made up of Caleb Chapman, his little brother and two other guys. (Yeah, leave it to the oldest brother to come up with the name of the band). I got to see them when Steven Curtis Chapman performed at my church a couple of months ago and I have loved them ever since.

If you have any suggestions on more music, I would love to hear them. To finish this whole thing off, here is a really cool quote I saw today by John Foreman which sort of inspired this whole post:


"That's why I write music, because our minds are often so closed that even the truth can't fit in to set us free." -Jon Foreman



1 comment:

  1. HMMM BANDS.
    Do you know of Brooke Fraser? I think you'd like her.

    ReplyDelete