For those of you who do not know, I am planning on majoring in graphic design next year which I am EXTREMELY excited about. I'm determined to be one of those people who just loves for their job and going into an art related field will most likely allow me to be that kind of person. I've always loved art. I can't remember a time when I didn't like drawing or coloring when I was younger. When people need volunteers to help kids with crafts or face painting at an event, I'm all over it. I think I love doing art so much because it's something I've always been good at. I've tried playing soccer, basketball, piano, and guitar. All failed. I was even on dance team in 8th grade and ran cross country and track for two years in high school. Yeah, neither one of these things worked out for me either. Art however, is the one thing I have started, stuck with, and just love.
But back to graphic design. I mentioned that I want to go into graphic design because I am extremely excited about a project we are about to start in digital photography. It's sort of like a public awareness type poster. Not only do I get to practice doing something I could be doing as a job one day but I get to create something that actually has meaning behind it. We get to come up with an issue that we feel strongly about and design a poster to inform people about the issue. I'm pretty sure I'm going to do mine on poverty. It's one of the things that just really gets me and here are just a few reasons why.
-Poverty kills more than 50,000 people every day - 18 million poor people die every year from extreme poverty.
-1.37 billion people live on less than $1.25 a day, and 2.56 billion live on less than $2 a day. Moreover, 5.05 billion people (more than 80 percent of the world's population) live on less than $10 a day.
-8 million people die from lack of food and nutrition every year - about 24,000 deaths each day.
-Every year, 5.8 million children die from hunger related-causes. Every day, that’s 16,000 young lives lost.
-The average yearly income of the richest 20% of people in the world is about 50 times greater than the yearly income of the poorest 20% of people.
Ok, if just those few statistics don't make you want to help, then something is up. It's just crazy to think how much we have and how selfish we are to want more. The majority of the world is out there just craving for the essentials and we so many times complain about not having our favorite food for dinner or not getting exactly what we wanted for Christmas. I think it's time for people to stop feeling sorry for those who don't have anything and actually start doing something about it. I'm talking about myself just as much as anyone. This is why I am excited about starting this project and possibly being a graphic designer. One day I hope I can not only help people but help them by doing something that I have a passion for. But until I decide what I'm definitely going to do for the rest of my life, I'm going to start doing all that I can to help people now.
I can't remember a time when you weren't into art either! What a sweet, Christ-like spirit you have!-- you're going to be brilliant.
ReplyDelete