Sunday, September 25, 2011

AUsome

For anyone who might be concerned, no, college has not killed me yet. I've just been either way too busy to write a blog post or haven't been busy at all but was too tired to come up with enough witty things to say to keep this interesting.

So far, my classes are either really difficult or just extremely boring. My drawing class is one of the classes that falls into the difficult category. I've taken art classes my entire life and have apparently taken the encouraging teachers I've had for granted. When my professor sees one thing he doesn't like about a drawing, you might as well just crumple up your paper into a little ball and start all over again. The other day, we were drawing a still life set up in the middle of the room. I was attempting to draw a bottle when he comes over to my desk, stops, and asks,
"You have two eyes, right?"
"......yes?"
"Well, I just don't understand why you are drawing that when the bottle clearly doesn't look that way."
OUCH! Needless to say, when he's making his rounds, stops, takes a good long stare at my drawing and then mutters the word "good," it takes almost everything that I have not to jump up from my desk and scream, "YES!!!!" I'm just waiting for someone in that class to burst into tears one day, seriously.

One thing that has taken some adjusting to has been living in such a small space. I know I am extremely lucky to live in the village but because I have my own room, it is about half the size of a room in the quad. If I throw pillows off my bed and leave a couple pairs of clothes out, I am literally climbing over a mountain of things just to get to my bed. My desk is almost non functional but that is mostly my fault. I am one of those kinds of people that live in organized clutter. However, I'm starting to think that I have no choice but to become super organized. I don't know how I'm going to make this change but I better do it quickly before people start wondering where I disappeared to after going into my room and never making my way back out.

I'm taking 16 hours of classes this semester but besides my design projects and art history reading, I normally don't have that much to do outside of class. I've started getting sort of involved with First Baptist Opelika and am planning to get a whole lot more involved once their local mission projects start up. The other day a few of my friends and I went hiking and then saw Lion King in 3D while the rest of campus was partying it up. Julie and I like to entertain ourselves by baking. We've baked everything from delicious red velvet cakeballs to oatmeal peanut butter banana cookies which were a made up recipe gone terribly wrong.  Because the cookies turned out so horrifically, we decided we would make the whole thing into an experiment by putting them out on a plate in the lobby along with a sign that read, "free cookies." We took our seats by the door and waited. It was disappointing to watch the majority of the people walk right by the table and not even see the sign but when people did notice and said things like, "I would be terrified to eat any of those" or "OH COOKIES!......ew nevermind," it was almost impossible not to burst into uncontrollable laughter. After about an hour of this entertainment, we gave up on anyone ever actually trying one and went back to our room. Another hour later, we went back into the lobby and were shocked to see that every single cookie was gone from the plate! Not only that, but someone had replaced the cookies with 3 slices of week old frozen pizza. A fair trade, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment